September 30, 2022
Written by: Dr. Marisol Teijeiro, N.D. (inactive) & Melanie Swackhammer B.A.
Medically reviewed by: Victoria Williams R.H.N.
Est. reading time: 6 minutes.
Are there hormone disruptors in ‘organic’ Castor Oil Packs?
Here’s why you can feel safe with your Queen of the Thrones® Castor Oil Pack
So, you likely bought your Queen of the Thrones® Castor Oil Pack so you can support your hormone problems because it’s made with organic cotton flannel and manufactured with the cleanest standards possible, right? And now you may be wondering if you can counteract hormone disruptors with your organic cotton Castor Oil Pack?
You see, hormone disruptors (A.K.A. endocrine disruptors) are any compound/chemical that interferes with the natural function of your hormones. They may be connected to health conditions like ADHD, reproductive problems, thyroid conditions, diabetes, different types of cancers and more1.
And hormone disruptors aren’t just in the food you eat or in the air you breathe, but may be in everything you come into contact with (your clothes, sheets, furniture) through your largest hormonal organ2, your skin.
Would you love to know what to look for when you’re shopping so you can avoid hormone disruptors? Get your FREE ‘buyer beware’ checklist below!
Click here for references:
1. Susan Adcox, Medically Reviewed by Dany Paul Baby, MD. What are Endocrine Disruptors? Published on WedMD.com April 7th, 2022 https://www.webmd.com/children/what-are-endocrine-disruptors.
2. Beszterda M, Frański R. Endocrine disruptor compounds in environment: As a danger for children health. Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab. 2018;24(2):88-95. doi: 10.18544/PEDM-24.02.0107. PMID: 30300430.
3. Drexler H. Skin protection and percutaneous absorption of chemical hazards. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2003 Jun;76(5):359-61. doi: 10.1007/s00420-002-0423-4. Epub 2003 May 22. PMID: 12761626.
4. De Jong MDT, Harkink KM, Barth S. Making Green Stuff? Effects of Corporate Greenwashing on Consumers. J Bus Tech Commun. 2018 Jan;32(1):77-112. doi: 10.1177/1050651917729863. Epub 2017 Sep 25. PMID: 30034204; PMCID: PMC6044111.
5. Esti Asih Nurdiah, The Potential of Bamboo as Building Material in Organic Shaped Buildings. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 216, 2016, Pages 30-38, ISSN 1877-0428, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042815061844
6. Bamboo Fiber Processing, Properties, and Applications. Biomass and Bioenergy, 2014 ISBN : 978-3-319-07640-9. Sameen Ruqia Imadi, Isra Mahmood, Alvina Gul Kazi
7. Vieira C et al. .Effect of ricinoleic acid in acute and subchronic experimental models of inflammation. Mediators Inflamm. 2000;9(5):223-8. PMID: 11200362.
8. Holm T, Brøgger-Jensen MR, Johnson L, Kessel L.Glutathione preservation during storage of rat lenses in opti-sol-GS and castor oil. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 19;8(11):e79620. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0079620. eCollection 2013. PMID: 24260265.
9. Holmes GM, Browning KN, Babic T, Fortna SR, Coleman FH, Travagli RA. Vagal afferent fibres determine the oxytocin-induced modulation of gastric tone. J Physiol. 2013 Jun 15;591(12):3081-100. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2013.253732. Epub 2013 Apr 15. PMID: 23587885; PMCID: PMC3832121.
10. Arslan GG, Eşer I. An examination of the effect of castor oil packs on constipation in the elderly. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2011 Feb;17(1):58-62. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2010.04.004. Epub 2010 May 18. PMID: 21168117.